Tuesday, January 18, 2011

About Me: My Favorite Author

Just like picking a definitive list of my favorite books of all time, choosing my favorite author of all time is just as difficult. I'm drawn to many authors because of their writing style, the topics they write about and their characters within their stories. I become invested in them and want to know what will happen next. I love it when what an author writes leaves me satisfied but at the same time wanting more. And when choosing an all-time favorite author, I have to consider their collected works and not just my favorite book that they have written.

Keeping all of that in mind, I'd say Ellen Hopkins is my favorite author. In 2007, I was fortunate enough to attend an event where she was a featured author and meet her. She writes verse novels about real people with real issues showing that life isn't always pretty. When reading her novels, I can appreciate the effort that is put into to every poem. Each line placement and each phrase is written with a purpose. She is a great storyteller who shows me the world of her characters, but also draws me in and makes me feel, at times uncomfortable, but she makes me feel something and that is what I love so much about her books. After reading one of her novels, sometimes it can take me a few days to start a new one because I am still considering what I've just read - thinking about the characters and their story and  wondering what is happening to them. How does their story continue? Or I am just so affected by the story that it can take a while to take it all in.

Crank is the novel that I always recommend for people to read first but my favorite novel by Hopkins is Impulse.





Ellen Hopkins is also the author of Glass, Fallout, Burned, Identical, and Tricks. Her website is www.ellenhopkins.com

1 comment:

  1. Love this author! She's probably the most-loved among my students. You're so lucky to have met her! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs