Sunday, March 27, 2011

Love My Indie with Erin from Quitting My Day Job

Love My Indie is a new feature at Actin' Up with Books where fellow bloggers, readers, and writers tell me about their favorite independent bookstores. I love the feeling I get when I go into an independent bookstore - like it is filled with hidden treasures just waiting for me to find them. But there aren't any independent bookstores where I live. This is why, any time I visit a new town or city, I always search out the local indie scene. Since I don't have a lot of time to travel, I'm inviting my readers to tell me about their favorite independent bookstore. Showing some Indie Love today is:


I used to live in Raleigh, North Carolina, and there were two awesome independent booksellers in the area:

1.  The Regulator in Durham, NC (http://www.regulatorbookshop.com/)  The Regulator has been around since 1976.  It has a cool, vintage feel to it while still staying current.  My favorite part is the basement where they host readings and signings.  These events happen often! I went to Sarah Dessen's signing for a "Along for the Ride" at the Regulator.

2.  Quail Ridge Books and Music in Raleigh, NC (http://www.quailridgebooks.com/)  Quail Ridge has a HUGE selection of books and music.  I was extremely impressed.  They host a variety of book clubs, music performances, and signings.  Quail Ridge is a great place to shop and hang out!

They attract some fairly big names for their events, so some are held at alternate locations. I've been to signings for Jodi Picoult (that one was held a local university in order to have more room), Lois Lowry, and Peter Hedges ("What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "The Heights").  All three experiences were enjoyable!

Thanks Erin for sharing your favorite bookstores. I do travel to Raleigh occasionally and hope to check out these bookstores during my next visit. Too bad it isn't any time soon because they have a lot of great author events in the upcoming weeks.
If you're interested in participating in this new feature, please send me an email at actinupwb@gmail.com - I'd love to hear from you and discover your favorite indie bookstore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs