Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 End of Year Book Survey

The Second Annual End of the Year Book Survey hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner is a fun way to reflect and remember all of the books I read in 2011. 

1. Best book(s) read in 2011? 
Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala
Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - a 2012 release, but I'm counting it anyway
Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Ordinary Beauty by Laura Wiess
The Summer Series by Jenny Han

2. Most disappointing book/book you wish you loved more than you did? 
The Best and Hardest Thing by Pat Brisson - I just thought it would be more heart-breaking than it was. After I finished it, I immediately thought, ok so what am I going to read next. So sad, but so true.

 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - I don't know what I thought was about, but it certainly wasn't what I thought it was going be. I loved this book but I'm glad that I listened to the audiobook because I don't think I would have finished the book if I had chose to read it.




4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011? 
The Hunger Games - It was the first recommendation I gave to anyone who asked. I even bought copies for several friends because just because I wanted them to read it. I even gave a copy for my dad for Christmas - and he's not a big reader (unless it's for work).

5. Best series you discovered in 2011? 
The Shade Series by Jeri Smith-Ready - I almost let this one pass me by. It didn't really seem like a book that I would be into, BUT so many bloggers were singing its praises - Jen at Makeshift Bookmark and Ginger at GReads! were the loudest. Their enthusiasm was contagious. I loved Shift the most and an super-excited for Shine.

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?
Holly Cupala - I love her debut novel Tell Me a Secret and look forward to starting Don't Breathe a Word.

Carol Lynch Williams - The Chosen One and Glimpse were terrific. I've just started reading her books, and will no doubt read more.

Ashley Hope Perez - a 2011 debut author. I love what she does with her writing and will read anything she writes.

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or a new genre for you?
I didn't really go out of my comfort zone or read any new genres - maybe that will be a goal for 2012

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - maybe not thrilling, but intriguing, entertaining and unputdownable. This is another one that I can't stop telling my friends about.

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?
Bumped by Megan McCafferty - I bought it the week it came out, started reading it and put it down for a while. And by a while, I mean eight months. I did read it and LOVED it!! So glad I finally read it and now I'm ready for Thumped. I read the summary and was in shock and tears. Now it is one of my most anticipated for 2012.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?
Glimpse by Carol Lynch Williams

 










11. Most memorable character in 2011?
Rand from Tell Me a Secret by Holly Cupala - There is just something about her and this book that will likely stick with me forever.

12. Most beautifully written book in 2011?
The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab


 
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?
Ordinary Beauty by Laura Wiess - from my review "Ordinary Beauty has left me a wreck. Never have I been left so emotionally drained from reading a book. While this may sound negative to some, it is one of the best feelings I can great from reading. I know this book and Sayre's story will be with me for a long time."






14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to read?
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - I am lame. I started this one in 2009 (maybe even earlier) and finished it in November. I don't know what I keep putting this one (and all the others in the series) aside.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2011?
Let me just put every word from The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan here. 
16. Book you read in 2011 that you'd most likely re-read in 2012?
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz and Girl Wonder by Alexa Martin

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it?
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray - this book was something else - so smart, sarcastic, thought-provoking, entertaining


Looking Ahead...

1. One book you didn't get to in 2011, but will be your number one priority in 2012?
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2012?
Thumped by Megan McCafferty, Shine by Jeri Smith-Ready, and Never Enough by Denise Jaden

3. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging in 2012?
2011 was a year of a lot of reading, but only a few reviews. I plan to catch up on my overdue reviews and review more consistently.

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely survey. I soo want to read Bumped, I read the sample on my Kindle and it was fan-tas-tic! Oh and I loved Tell Me a Secret. Oh, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Never Let Me Go was...unexpected. I enjoyed it though and watched the movie, which of course wasn't as good, but was OK. I also agree about The Lovers Dictionary. I still like to pick that one up occasionally and just read a few pages. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs