Monday, August 13, 2012

Recommend A . . . book with a blue cover


(altered from Chick Loves Lit
“Recommend A…” will have a new prompt every week, which Shanyn will have posted ahead of time on the Recommend A… page. All you have to do is Recommend with Chick Loves Lit on Mondays, following the prompt, and link up so Shanyn (and everyone else) can see what you’ve recommended!
 This week's prompt:
book with a blue cover

 
The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls 
by Julie Schumacker
Published by Random House Children's Books
Publication Date: May 8, 2012

 I'm Adrienne Haus, survivor of a mother-daughter book club. Most of us didn't want to join. My mother signed me up because I was stuck at home all summer, with my knee in a brace. CeeCee's parents forced her to join after cancelling her Paris trip because she bashed up their car. The members of "The Unbearable Book Club," CeeCee, Jill, Wallis, and I, were all going into eleventh grade A.P. English. But we weren't friends. We were literary prisoners, sweating, reading classics, and hanging out at the pool. If you want to find out how membership in a book club can end up with a person being dead, you can probably look us up under mother-daughter literary catastrophe. Or open this book and read my essay, which I'll turn in when I go back to school. (from Goodreads)

I've read a few reviews of The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls and readers either liked it or just didn't think too much of it. I, for one, enjoyed it a lot and think that more readers should check it out. It it is great for a book club discussions (not just mother/daughter book clubs). The cover is a little misleading because it makes it more seem like it is just a summer fluff read, but it is definitely more than that. Check out my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs