Friday, January 4, 2013

Review: Forever My Girl by Heidi McLaughlin






Forever My Girl
by Heidi McLaughlin
Published by Bandit Publishing
Publication Date: December 26, 2012
Pages: 220
Sources: Purchased









(from Goodreads)

I was never supposed to be a rock star. I had my life all planned out for me. Play football in college. Go to the NFL. Marry my high school sweetheart and live happily ever after.

I broke both our hearts that day when I told her I was leaving. I was young. I made the right decision for me, but the wrong decision for us. I’ve poured my soul into my music, but I’ve never forgotten her. Her smell, her smile.

And now I’m going back.

After ten years.

I hope I can explain that after all this time.

I still want her to be my forever girl.


My Thoughts

I love when I start reading a new book and getting swept up in the story from the very beginning. That is exactly what happened while reading Forever My Girl. The alternating point of views let me know what Liam and Josie were thinking and feeling which allowed for an immediate connection to the characters. They both were experiencing a significant loss - the death of a friend - and it was as though I was experiencing their loss. I was that caught up and I admit there were even a few tears shed.

Some parts of the story are told in flashbacks and these were some of my favorite parts of the book.  In these moments, it was apparent just how much Josie and Liam meant to each other and loved each other. Their love was a young love, but real and overwhelming.

Forever My Girl had me on an emotional roller coaster. There was a heaviness to it, but there were many smiles, some laughs, heart-warming moments, and lot of anticipation.  It is a really sexy story and the idea of what might be contributes to that. The story builds and builds and I hoped that Liam and Josie would end up together, but there for a while I could see the possibility that I might not happen. A lot of time had passed, Josie suffered a lot of pain when Liam left, and she had a lot of healing to do and feared that her heart would be shattered all over again. 

While I loved the story and cared about Liam and Josie and their happiness, there were some things that I do take issue with. The timeline of when Liam left college, changed his fate, and became a rock star. It was like he was an overnight success and he really didn't have to make his way to the top. I realize that his journey to fame wasn't the point of this story, but it felt too easy and not very realistic.

The small town girl in me really loved the small town setting. I could relate to how all of the friends and town's people where wrapped up in each other's lives. I'm thrilled that this will be a series and getting to see into the lives of the other people of Beaumont. Even though Forever My Girl just came out, I am already anticipating reading the next book. Until then, I will push it on my friends.


3 comments:

  1. I saw a dude on the cover with a guitar, then I read the synopsis about it.. and your review to follow.. SOLD. I just bought the ebook, HA! Thanks for bringing this one to my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does sound good! Reminds me a little of If I Stay, Where She Went.
    I have to be really choosy about buying this year so I'll put it on my tbr list and see if I can swing it. I'm on a definite budget this year.

    BTW- Big signing at Malaprops on a Saturday night Feb 2. Beth Revis, Victoria Schwab,and a bunch of other people.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger - Yay! This makes me happy. Hope you love it!

    Heather - Check your in box! And I'll check the details of the Malaprop's signing. I don't know since I'm going to the one in Charlottesville.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs