Wednesday, October 23, 2013

YALLFest Author Interview: Michelle Hodkin

On November 9th, 2013, the 3rd annual Young Adult Book Festival - YALLFest will take place in Charleston, SC. The festival will host 50 of the country’s top YA authors, including 25 New York Times bestsellers. Today I, along with other enthusiastic bloggers, are hosting a series of interviews of authors who will be at YALLFest. For all of the details about YALLFest, check out their website at www.yallfest.org
 
 
Featured today is Michelle Hodkin, author of the Mara Dyer Series 
 
Describe your book in 5 words
Romeo and Juliet meets Hitchcock

What is the hardest line to write- the first or the last?
I spend a lot of time thinking about my first lines. A lot of time. Too much time. Luckily the last lines usually come to me as I write. 

What is your favorite genre to write in? To Read?
What I love about YA is that I don't have to choose a genre. I can blend elements and mess with conventions from all of them—horror, mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever. I'm not sure I could choose a favorite, if I were ever told that I had to. And my reading is all over the place, but right now I'm reading a lot of old school sci-fi and fantasy, with some literary fiction thrown in.

What one young adult novel do you wish you had when you were a teen? Why?
The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's not YA, but it is about a teenager who reminds me of my teen self. And maybe also my adult self. Anyway. I basically push the book into the hands of everyone I meet. It's just that good.

What are you working on now?
A secret project that is secret. But I'm wildly excited about it, and I think my readers will be too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs