Monday, January 13, 2014

Help Save this Indie Bookstore

 UPDATE 1/15/14 10:16 P.M.

Since my original post on 1/13/14 Brandi Schmidt has canceled her fundraising campaign to purchase Main Street Books. Thank you to everyone who shared this post via social media.

 *******************************************

Last week I read a tweet in my Twitter feed about saving a independent bookstore. I clicked the attached indiegogo link and found out the independent bookstore is Main Street Books in St. Charles, Missouri. A couple of years ago, author Susan McBride wrote a guest post about Main Street Books for my "Love My Indie Bookstore" feature. It sounded just like the kind of place I would love to go.

Brandi Schmidt, author, wife, mother, and book lover, has a dream to keep Main Street Books open.

From Brandi on indiegogo:

"The current owners are retiring. They purchased the business seven years ago, and they are ready to spend their years traveling and some well-deserved time with grandchildren.

Now you know the past. Let me tell you how we can give Main Street Books a future with your help.

I have always wanted to own a book store.
Years ago, I looked into starting one in St. Charles (I even made t-shirts!).
The timing wasn't right, and my dream sat on the back burner. Until, I heard
that Main Street Books was for sale, and if they didn't sell by January 31st,
they would close!

WHAT?!

CLOSE!

Yes, I know, I was shocked, too.

Main Street Books has been an icon for almost 20 years. It would be a shame to
see it just dissolve like so many independent stores. I want to save this
store, and I need your help. I need you to take action!"


You can read her complete proposal on indiegogo.

Even though Main Street Books isn't my local independent bookstore, I made a small donation to help keep the store open. If you like to support independent bookstores, help keep this one open. Even donations as small as $10 - $25 will help save this indie. If you can't make a donation, you can still help. Please share this post or the indiegogo link on Facebook and Twitter. Every little bit helps.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs